Welcome to the Hambini Engineering website. This website started off as my place on the internet for me to detail technical aspects of bikes, cars and my love of engineering. This is largely in conjunction with my YouTube channel where content mainly involves bikes and cars.
08 Jan 2020 – I have updated the wheel testing page with an interactive graph and table, you can now better see the data and also filter it.
Pressfit vs Threaded Bottom Brackets: An Engineering Analysis
A lot of people think that threaded BB’s do not suffer from the creaking that plagues interference fit bottom brackets / bearings. In this video I talk you through the hard technicalities of what is going on and why there is a problem. In short, every modern bottom bracket is a pressfit. It’s just some are made better than others.
- Specialized OSBB – Engineering GuideA question that crops up frequently is with regards to Specialized's OSBB bottom bracket and what size it is exactly. The short answer is OSBB comes in 3 variants which are all called OSBB. 46×61, 42×68 and 46×73. A summary table is below, with the detailed drawings below that. Variant (Diameter x Width) (mm)ApplicationDescription46 x 61RoadFrame tolerances are the same as PF30. It is extremely narrow42 x 68RoadThis has exactly the same dimensions as BB30 and is designed for 6806 or 61806 bearings … Read more
- Testing to Find the Fastest Bicycle WheelsPrecursor – The critics and those with a vested interest I have added this section to the start of this blog post. The method this test uses is called transient state and it is used when aerodynamics are constantly changing. This is difficult to explain in detail in one blog post so I have linked to a youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwrCrU4KG-I Forward to 10m20, this shows the clear difference between steady state and the real world The important part of the video is at … Read more
- Hambini vs Flo CyclingI do not usually write this type of post but I wanted to clear a few things up. I am an engineer by training and one of my weaknesses is I am unable to articulate myself as well as I would like. This is mainly because English is not my native language. There have been a lot of negative words exchanged between myself and FLO cycling about their wheels and I wanted to clear a few things up. My engineering is Genuine A … Read more
- Bottom Bracket Pressfit and Creaking, an Engineering AnalysisIf you are reading this you will have probably already come across the numerous posts by various individuals in Internet forums across the web. The issue of creaking bottom brackets has been blamed on the introduction of pressfit and directfit bottom bracket standards, where bearings either push directly into the bike frame or push into cups which are then pushed into the bike frame. General guidance varies from taking everything out and regreasing it to installing with extreme measures such as epoxy resin. … Read more
- Aero Bike Wheel Test… The FalloutThose of you who are avid viewers of a number of Internet forums will have noted that some results from my bike wheel wind tunnel testing have been contested and criticized. The ultimate result was I ended up getting banned from weightweenies for a week for calling Tom Anhalt of bike blather a spec of shite on the anus of humanity and a letter went from Flo Cycling to my HR department to ask for me to get the sack. One of the … Read more